Monday, February 16, 2009

The Magnificent OPASA!

Opasa. Opasa... 
Opasa....... OPASA! 

Doesn't it even just sound like something intriguingly ominous or, oh I dunno, magnificent perhaps? It is for my kiddos. We can be done with the day, enjoying a relaxed dinner-- eating out, even-- and it comes up. They can't wait for a visit from the Opasa. Heck, I believe they brought it up at the family Christmas Eve party. It's that exciting to them!

Do I have your attention now? That's how I introduced it to them, as well. For a good 10 days I let them know Opasa was coming... Then it was about to be here... Finally, I revealed that it was all theirs! It was our cue how well interest-led learning would end up working. Opasa is really O.P.A.S.A.- our Ongoing Project And Special Assignment. And they love it. 

When we struggled with a slough of worksheets and curriculums, the Opasa stuck. They chose it, although we helped with suggestion or assisted whenever needed. My little girl started writing a book. My son invented a line of paper toys. They'd disappear for hours. Of course, we're still holding our breath for a "we'd love to study different methods of maintaining our bedrooms and toyroom, please--" GASP!!! Alright, let's just try crossing our fingers.

Since then, we've had studies in superheroes, guitar, ballet, nutrition/exercise, Pokemon and believe it or not I've even helped out with some J-pop assignments. We're about to embark on an in-depth cinema and screenwriting period. Gonna be cool, even for the dear ol' teacher...

Now, I know I'm not the first. In fact, much of my encouragement has been from other unschoolers who have done this kinda stuff for years. But if you're unfamiliar with or uncertain of project-base/interest-led learning, I hope this will ease the fright. After all, in our case, it's just a movie...

5 comments:

tie-dyed doula said...

Hey there! New homeschooling mama here. I am a grab and go kind of gal and I can't seem to put a finger on a "certain", or "ideal" curriculum that I stick to. I am inquiring about what works for you as far as curriculum...if you get the chance, please holla at ssealing@cfaith.com.

Toto Tay said...

cool! you go, girl!

dropping you a line right now...

Ute said...

OPASA sounds cool. :)

I found here through "The New Unschooler".

Toto Tay said...

it is cool! thanks SLF.

New Unschooler and i are about the same unschooled age. like a twin sister. great blog...

Jena said...

So cool! Love your ideas and your enthusiasm. Wish every kid could have a homeschool like this. :)