Monday, April 20, 2009

A Really Boer'ing Weekend!

Anyone who knows me knows we have family with a goat farm, and we frequent visits to help out with things. All kinds of things. Things like milking, feeding, cleaning, building... ocassionally even birthing. Things that make us appreciate the little stuff like sleeping in one's own bed in their own room, jaunting down to the grocery store and back in 30 minutes, wearing clean shoes and not smelling like all kinds of nast. Stuff like that... 

"What's your point there, Todd?" I hear instinctively in my mind. And send out telepathic apologies to those which whom I've intrigued and then bored. Bear with me, please...

Well, this up and coming weekend is the grandparents Big One. The one where their little town, located smack dab on the bullseye of the middle of a Texas dartboard, holds its 12th Annual BBQ and Goat Cook-off & Arts and Crafts Fair. And it's a doozie! You see, Mills County is Meat Goat Capital of America! So this is kinda crucial.

All the vendors put their best foot forward for folks from-- well-- all over the world. That's right... the world. That's because we sheltered and blessed citizens here in the States hardly realize how much other nations depend on comodities such as "goat" for mere survival. It's crazy! Crazy and fun. For us, it's a real education of how countries like India, Africa, Mexico and others live day to day. That's awesome!

And furthermore, it's insight into farm-life, economy, responsibility and even humanity. I won't go into detail because the opportunity to explore stuff like this is pure gold! And I'm no 49'er... would rob anyone of such riches! Of course, my oldest on this weekend every year declared vegitarianism. So I annually remind her how I was a Veggie-tan for 4 years/Vegan for one, and how it doesn't mean we don't have to try and have a little protein to balance our diets--hers, a 80% sugar and starch diet. She tries a reluctant bite and says, "it's not terrible..." every year.

My challenge-- and gift to you-- is "Check It Out For Yourself!" As a sidenote, I was gonna throw CIOFY (pronounced "see-o-fie") in there, but somehow sounded too cliche and "el stupido." Sorry... 

Oh, and as for the title? Boer is a classification of meat goats. Tee hee.

By the way... if you happen to be around Goldthwaite, Texas next weekend... make sure you find me. I'm related to "The Longs." Ask anyone...

1 comment:

Della said...

Hi there. I saw your note on MckMama's "mug shots" post a couple days ago. Piqued my interest. I came over here and threw you in my feeds so I can remember to check you out as you post :)

But I definitely wanted to post how cool it is to find a fellow bloggie in North Texas! It is kind of silly: never mind that we are likely to have way more OTHER things "in better common" than our general location, I'm all excited that you're in Texas? But, it's cool nonetheless.

Also, I totally dig the fact that your phonetic pronunciation of the acronym CIOFY sounds like see-ify, like glorify or amplify. Can I totally steal that for my own personal use?

Nice to meet you. Maybe someday I'll start posting regularly so you can get to know me, too :P but until then, see you around!